Sunday 28 July 2013

Cochlear Implant - update after day three

Still hearing high squeaky voices which are impossible to understand. But managed to hear new sounds never before:
  • Grandfather clock ticking
  • Alex crunching an apple
  • Pen writing on paper
  • Pressing keyboard on blackberry
  • Cat licking milk in bowl
  • Two bird sounds - one was obviously a pigeon but the other was unrecognisable. Very high tweeting but a lovely sound. Will try and listen bird sounds on iPlayer to practice listening - a good tip from mother-in-law (thanks!).
I went to the London Olympic Stadium last night for the Anniversary Games, so caught a train there. I could hear passengers coughing and sneezing on other side of platform. I could also hear the humming sounds from air conditioning and a very noisy newspaper on the train. I am an avid newspaper reader and have been commuting to London for over 15 years. I just realised that I must have been a very noisy passenger and would like to profusely apologise to all other regular passengers who had to put up with me! I will try and be more quiet and subtle from now on, or even read the newspaper from an iPad.

Overall, sounds are much sharper and crisper and I can hear them much further away.I’m going back to the Cochlear Implant Centre in Southampton on Monday to crank up the cochlear implant. Hopefully, I will hear more new sounds and will send another update next week.

Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Matthew -- You sound like an explorer in a strange new world .... And as for apologising about all those years of inadvertently rustling your newspaper too loudly, please don't! The ones who should be saying sorry are the hearing types who have been fully aware (or should have been) of the distracting noises they were making!

    Looking at your list of sounds again I could rearrange them into a "hearing haiku":

    Grandfather clock ticks
    The cat licks milk from her bowl
    Sounds murmur to me

    Keep the blogs coming -- they make for fascinating reading.... Sue

    ReplyDelete